Monday 8 December 2014

The Future of Blogging


A few weeks ago I was at a Digital Marketing Conference in London and I was fortune enough to hear some amazing speakers share their expertise and their thoughts on the future of Digital Marketing. Firstly, I know what you’re thinking, “Nikki calm down, this isn’t a marketing blog just you stick to talking about lipstick”. In reality people who blog about their favourite lipstick and are hoping to build up a following and possibly even make some financial gain from their blog are essentially using content to market their blog. Part of my job as a digital marketer involves content creation so I write a lot of blog posts and schedule social media updates much like your average beauty/lifestyle blogger. Blogging is particularly popular in digital marketing and is widely used in both B2B (business to business) and B2C (business to consumer) capacities to help the brand share their expertise help convey the company’s USP. One session I attended spoke about how blogging in digital marketing has changed. People feel the need to publish posts when in reality they’re not adding any value – the priority has switched from quality content to the quantity of posts. They’re not providing any new information or a new take on a situation or sometimes the post needs developed further or maybe the topic just isn’t actually that interesting in the first place.

I would suggest the same is true about blogging in beauty and fashion. When I first started my own blog I wanted to post 3 times a week. I mean, the hundreds of blog posts with blogging tips said I needed to publish regularly and keep to a schedule so that’s what I was going to do. I’ve realised that on occasion I’ve been writing for the sake of writing and not because I actually had anything new or valuable to say, I just felt I needed to get a post out and I doubt that I’m alone in admitting this. Does the blogging world really need another blog post declaring their love for Jo Malone Candles/Bioderma or Christmas Gift Guides with the exact same products? Is this adding value to your blog?

I’m by no means saying that if you fall head over heels in love with a hyped up product that you shouldn’t be declaring your love from the roof tops (Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, I’m looking at you), but I think that in 2015 we need to think creatively. We need to do something different and not always follow the same tried and tested method of beauty blogging.  

What do you think? Have you ever found yourself publishing a post for the sake of it?

3 comments :

  1. That's so true! I agree with you! I'm always striving to be more creative so I can challenge myself, but I'm not sure it always shows through ;P

    Every Day In Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you so much. The amount of blog posts which are being published just to have something there and so that some people would call themselves bloggers, is incredible.
    I think with the time there will be two types of bloggers defined - quantity and quality kind of blogger; or fast-food and fine-dinning kind of bloggers.
    I enjoyed reading your blog post!

    Lu | www.balgarka.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I found sometimes I would sit down to write about something and I was having to wrack my brain for words to say because I wasn't writing about something I loved, I was writing because I felt I had to in order to do my 3 posts per week! Now I only write if I have something to say.

    www.michellelouiselove.com

    ReplyDelete