Sunday 28 September 2014

Autumn Wishlist #2 - Candles

As much as I firmly believe that candle burning is a year long affair, in Autumn I definitely up the ante. Fruity, woody, spicy or sweet, I don’t discriminate but at this time of year you really can’t beat something a bit richer. When it comes to variety, John Lewis is one of the best and when it comes to candles it certainly doesn’t disappoint. It stocks everything from Jo Malone and Diptyque to Yankee Candle and Cowshed so there’s something to suit everyone. I’m normally pretty loyal to Jo Malone for candles but after spending a lot longer than I’d care to admit browsing through the candles on the John Lewis website, I’ve managed to whittle it down to a top 5 which I’ll be keeping an eye out for next time I’m in store. 

First things first, Diptyque was the brand I was originally looking at before I got side tracked. I’ve heard so much about the Figuier scent and although it sounds lovely, it was the Ambre candle that made my finger twitch at “add to basket”. With eucalyptus, bark and crushed leaves it sounds as though it would be the perfect addition to a dark autumn night. 



 I was a big fan of the Neom Tranquility Candle, I sometimes find lavender scented candles to be a bit too sickly but it balanced well with the sweet basil and jasmine so I would be excited to try out some of their other scents. The Christmas Wish Organic Scented Candle caught my eye with it’s mandarin, cinnamon and tonka bean scent - definitely christmas in a jar. 


Although I always admire the Molten Brown gift sets I’ve never actually tried anything from the brand. The Yuan Zhi Forte scented candle caught my eye, not for the name, but for the indian ginger, tangerine and cedar wood scent. 


I’m not familiar with Tom Dixon but I really like how these are something a bit different from the typical glass jar. This gift set contains 3 different scents - London “smell of red brick and London parks with crocuses and nettles, and the salty smell of the Thames at Dagenham”; Royalty “reminiscence of tea time with a pot of Earl Grey, scones with strawberry jam and the drive home in a ‘52 Bentley with tatty leather seats” and Orientalist “faint memory of an Indian wedding with rose petal garlands- giant cinnamon sticks on the beach stalls and the musky smells of the Chinese herbal market”. 


Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir is my all time favourite candle so I really couldn’t miss this one out - “rich fruits, white flowers and elegant woods into the air, you can bring to life a mood that is intimate and comforting”. Perfect description. Need I say more? 


Do you have any other candle recommendations?

2 comments :

  1. I really want to try some diptique candles but they are just so pricey! Need to ask for some for Christmas :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte | Palette Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! Or remaining birthday money haha x

      Delete