Thursday 17 July 2014

Taming the 'fro - Hair Oils

Hair oils are one of the few products that make a massive difference to my hair on a daily basis. I have naturally dry/curly/frizzy hair so any product that gives extra moisture and helps smooth everything down is a winner in my books. I have 4 in my hair basket at the moment, although 3 are almost finished. 

hair oil

I can’t say that I’m a massive fan of Ojon Rare Blend Oil Total Hair Therapy. I actually find it to be a bit too heavy for my hair (and that’s saying something). When I only use a couple of drops it doesn’t really make much of a difference to my hair but if I use the same amount of oil that I would with any of the other brand, it leaves my hair looking oily and feeling heavy. To use it up, I’ve mainly been using it as a pre shampoo treatment or mixing it with Redken Extreme Anti Snap Treatment (or a similar leave in conditioner) to dilute it. Ojon have other variations of this oil so I may pick up a slightly lighter texture in the future as I am a massive Ojon fan as a whole.

Kerastase is definitely my favourite brand for hair oils. At the moment I have Kerastase Elixir Ultime with Immortal Moringa for Damaged Hair which is lovely. It’s so hydrating but it doesn’t weigh my hair down. I mainly use this when I’m going to use heat on my hair as the ingredients actually repair hair and deep hydrate as opposed to just smoothing everything over. 

I was given Redken Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine Intense as a Christmas present and despite using it regularly on wet hair, as a pre shampoo treatment and as a finishing product, I’ve barely made a dent in the bottle. This oil is a lovely rich treatment which leaves hair feeling super smooth and nourished but I would say that it is very easy to use too much. This is another one I like to mix with Redken Extreme Anti Snap Treatment for daily wear although it’s more because I like how it hydrates and conditions without feeling as though I’m using as many hair products rather than because I’m trying to use it up. As a pre shampoo treatment I just run a few pipets worth of product through the lengths of my hair and then tie my hair up for it to do it’s thing. More often than not I leave it on overnight and wash it out in the morning. Redken also suggest mixing this with your usual deep conditioner, I haven’t tried this yet but I definitely will in the future.

When I’m planning on just tying my hair up, L’Oreal Mythic Oil Rich is my go-to oil. This is rich enough that it helps smooth out my hair when I’m just leaving it to dry naturally (it helps prevent a Monica in Barbados style ‘do), but doesn’t leave my hair feeling like it needs washed the following day. This oil is a bit silicone heavy so I’m aware that it probably isn’t doing very much to actually benefit my hair in the long run, but it is a lovely oil if you’re just looking to smooth things out.

Hopefully you’ll see a few of these in an empties post shortly! I’m really bad for not using the last of a product so I don’t have to throw it out. Surely I can’t be the only person who does this?


What hair oils do you like? Do you have any other recommendations? 

2 comments :

  1. I really like morrocan oil or the Tigi S factor smoothing lusterizer for taming my frizz haha! may have to try some of these recommendations:)

    thechinadolldiaries.blogspot.co.uk

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried Moroccan oil! It sounds lovely though :) x

      Delete